I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Tuesday 5 February 2008

TOP MYSTERY

POET-TREE
(THE ANAGRAM OF EDEN)
The circle of the earth
had four corners once
and an inferior intelligence
created its inhabitants.
But the Poet god, came down
and banished the pretender
from his presence.
The Poet god annihilated
the hidious dis-order and
established a new creation.
But the pre-creator was
a snake in the grass and
he outstayed his welcome.
The hothouse in the centre
of the sphere began to sprout.
The Poet god called this place
the garden of Eden.
Next, he made a main man
to represent himself.
And the banished serpent slid off
to beyond the four corners
of the earth.
The Poet god brought the animals
and the plants and the trees
in the garden for the main man
to name. Then he made a woman
for the man. The main man was
Adam and the woman was Eve.
And Eve, was to be Adam's wife.
And they were to live together,
naked, forever, in the garden.
Then one day long after
the Poet god had gone, the
snake in the grass re-appeared.
Who are you? asked Adam
who knew everything.
Where did you come from?
Enquired Eve, who now knew
something Adam didn't know.
'From the four corners of the earth.'
The serpent lied. Planting the seed
of need in the garden.
But the Poet god didn't make you!
Said Adam, adamantly.
'The Poet god didn't tell you everything!'
Replied the resplendant pretender.
We want to know, we need to know!
Said Eve, speaking for both of them.
And the snake climbed the Poet tree
and threw down some fruit.
It is forbidden! cried the naked couple,
The Poet god said! - 'But forgot to mention',
interjected the serpent. 'That when you
taste the fruit of knowledge from
The Poet tree, you will be like he.'
And the pretender slithered off, back to
beyond the four corners of the earth.
If we eat the fruit of The Poet tree
we'll be like the Poet god!
Said naive Eve.
And Adam in his wisdom agreed.
A greed which turned the anagram
of Eden into need!
AS28492
Just to let you know! The February issue of Nicola Batty's Newsletter Raw Meat is now Online at: http://rawprintz.blogspot.com/

22 comments:

  1. A clever twist on an old story. I like the Kiplingesque explanation of the anagram.

    If I were to write the story, of course Poet God would be a Poetess. But, that's just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mariacristina, I guess a Poetess God might be a good solution but then of course I wouldn't have this story because Adam, Eve and the Serpent wouldn't be a problem, would they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Just Jen, I get all my knowledge from poets so I figured that the tree of knowledge could be the poet-tree (poetry) perhaps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the phrase main man a lot.

    I'm not religious, but an interesting take on the subject nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Noahthegreat, perhaps not religious but with a name like that you must know a thing or two!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First I like the Title. This is an interesting take. I appreciate sich twists in the end.

    Poetess, poet god..it does not bother me. I like the tree of knowledge. Does not matter where it is, how I go there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wondered why knowledge is forbidden, it was the 'not knowing' part that eventually turned them to greed and need, isnt it? What if they had the knowledge to begin with, what if the poet God had given it to them, wouldnt they've been better equipped to battle the serpent...but you say it beautifully well...and the poet-ry, superb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. very clever twist... i think i like your rendition better......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very 'creative' words :-)

    And this commenter looked, and it was good.

    Loved the twist with the anagram.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A twist for sure! Nifty anagram and poet-tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gautami- Thanks!

    Ul- I think Adam and Eve had all the knowledge they needed to live in the garden and to combat the serpent. The problem was that they didn't do what the poet god told them to!

    Jo- Thanks for the lovely word!

    Paisley- Thanks, I had trouble reciting this one after six pints of beer!

    Anthony- And clever you too, I just read your Whodunit?

    Tumblewords- Thanks for reading this, I can still see the faces in the 'poet-tree' picture on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love hearing different versions of old tales, and this is no exception. I'll be back to read this again when I'm finished with work tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW!
    Great work, words, thought process!
    Neat. Keep writing great stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sister AE, Hope you enjoy it!

    Hi Fiery Ice, Thanks for the comment.

    Hi Revathi, Wow! You're too kind..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had much the same reaction as the others....nice take on an old story. Well done.
    And thanks for the visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great story! I guessed the anagram before I first came to the "need" in the poem. :)

    I enjoyed it thoroughly, and thank you for sharing the anagram poem prompt. I'm going to see if I up to this challenge. Will think about it some more.

    Lotus
    http://alotus-poetry.livejournal.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Lotus, so glad you enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That POET GOD would make a GOOD PET, no?

    ReplyDelete
  19. nICE ONE pHILIP, i 'gOT dOpE'

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the Poet God and his creation got what they deserved :).

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.