I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Tuesday 27 April 2010

NaPoWriMo 2010 Day 26

NAPOWRIMO 2010 DAY 26
GET SCRAPPY

It’s getting late in the month, and finishing NaPoWriMo is going to take every bit of resourcefulness you have. Jill Crammond Wickham reminds us about the bits and pieces of poems we may be carrying around.

Today, before you start writing, you need to do some digging. Dig through your backpack, purse or desk drawer and find a scrap of poem written on an old envelope or bank deposit slip. Unearth an old journal or notebook.

Find a poem that you started, or perhaps one you abandoned. Read it through. Highlight the lines or phrases that please you. Do not cross anything out (yet)! You now have two choices: finish the poem or take the parts you like and begin a brand new piece.

If NaPoWriMo has you a little crazy, there is a third option: take the parts you don’t like and use them to inspire a new poem.

HERE'S MINE:
The following is from my abandoned pile. It is titled EASY! and sub titled Lemon Squeezy, and it's dated 8/7/97
EASY!
(LEMON SQUEEZY)
Easy!
Slow down,
right down,
stop!
Think!
pick up the pencil
and re-write what you
just, quote un-quote, wrote.
And what you've
just written, will be
cliche, all right on the night.
Easy!
080797

Looking at the above reminds me that I took the idea from something I wrote much earlier. I used to jot down silly little sayings that came into my head, and use them as memory aides, I wrote quite a lot of them between 1979 and 1984, many of them were probably paraphrases of quotes I had heard or read elsewhere. This one is dated 3.9.79 in my scruffy notebook.

WRITE
When you've written
what you wanted to write
re-write what you wrote,
and what you've written,
will be right.
030979

Okay, so what do I like about the above pieces? Not a lot! But here goes:

WRONG
It would be wrong
to say that everything
you wrote was not right
however spelling mistakes
and grammer aside the best I can
muster is to say that at a stretch you tried.
26042+10

2 comments:

  1. 'Easy' reminds me of 'The fast Show' - 'Easy peasy squeezy cheese'
    'Write' - that's right, that is.
    'Wrong' reminds me of school. When one kid said 'I'm trying', Class Joker replied 'Yes you are... very!'

    ReplyDelete
  2. To know these things is half the battle!

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.