I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Saturday 10 April 2010

NaPoWriMo 2010 Day 10

NAPOWRIMO 2010 DAY 10
CELEBRATE!
RWP member Pamela Sayers says, “I live in Mexico, and one of the things I love most about this country is that people here celebrate their family and friends to the utmost.” And it is in that spirit that Pamela asks us to write about any celebration we have been to recently.Write about a birthday party, a wedding, a baptism — any kind of celebration where you were with family or friends or both. Write about the colors you remember, the sounds (and how they made you feel) and the tastes you remember from any of those events. Did these things make you feel good? Did you experience any new foods? Did you meet any new people? Sometimes, beyond our control, festivities can take a turn for the worse. Maybe that happened to you or someone you know. Whatever happened, be it great or not so great, let’s write about it!
HERE'S MINE:
I thought about this one for a long time, and rejected several ideas. In the end this one came out, I had lots more to say, but the poem itself told me to end on 'hits the switch' I wanted to put something about her sitting on an electric chair, but she said no. Now I guess we'll never know what she wrote in her diary, phew!



CELEBRATION

she lies there under the blossom tree

looking up and trying to count the specks

mentally thanking the big bang (in theory)

for the warmth of spring and the coming summer

she writes something quickly in her diary

and hides it under the pile of washing

feeling guilty for taking even a short break

eventually she goes back to the house

it’s the twins birthday and it’s party time

in another hour the bib gang will be here

spilling jelly and choking on cup cakes

she loads the washing machine and hits the switch

10042+10

8 comments:

  1. celebrating....CELEBRATIONS....and all the poets with words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,
    Once again you have hit it right on! Excellent!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just reminded me - twins birthday not long away...
    Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the immediate and the infinite
    we are small and busy things
    best wishes
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel sorry for Mum trying to steal a few minutes for herself and then feeling guilty.Liked this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that could be me! (Except for the twins!) I can so see myself stopping my chores to write something! I really like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just re-read this one and I noticed the anagram - bib gang, big bang.

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.