THE HERO POEM
As a child, Jessica GC says she had two heroes: Wonder Woman and her mother. “To me, they were one and the same,” says Jessica. “Both had long dark hair. Both were strikingly beautiful, and both had incredible strength.”
Write a poem in which you to pay tribute to your hero, past or present.
Here are few possibilities for inspiration:
- What made your childhood hero so special? What traits did you envy? Are super powers involved?
- Do you have more than one hero? Consider drawing a comparison between them.
- Honor the everyday heroes among us — the policemen, the fire fighters, the troops — risking their lives everyday.
- Did your hero ever fall from the pedestal you put him or her on?
- Maybe you’re the hero you want to write about! Have you ever had a moment when someone has made you feel like a hero? Did you ever save a cat from a burning building? Or maybe it was something as simple as staying up all night with a friend who needed you.
I've presented this as a NanoAmerico^ which is an Allen Ginsberg style American Sentence sandwiched between two shorter sentences or statements. You can find other Sandwich poems and micro flash fiction at the American Sandwich game..