I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Saturday 3 April 2010

NaPoWriMo 2010 Day 3

NAPOWRIMO 2010 DAY 3
It’s daunting to take on a commitment as large as NaPoWriMo, but here you are. Today is Day 3, and you are facing your fears. RWP member Joseph Harker thinks there’s a poem in that; here’s his prompt for you:
Write about something that scares you. It could be tarantulas or your significant other cheating on you or an existential fear of the unknown so long as it unsettles you. Describe it in the most vivid language possible!
Sometimes by articulating our fears, we strip them of their power. (But don’t go too far! A little fear is good to have.)
Here's mine:

SKULL THUGGERY DIY
Scared afraid of Black and Decker doctors
Doctors chasing me with knives and hammers
Hammers hitting chisels into my skull
Skull thuggery that’s what those doctors do
Do they have to tell you that you might die
Die if you have the op - die if you don’t
Don’t they know that I’m scared stiff already

All ready to have your operation?
Operation knives are sterilised phew!
Phew, there’s no turning back they’re going through
Through my head to improve my brain remove...
Remove my brain? they’ve got to find it first
First thing I thought when they told me of this
This is the worst thing DIY I’m scared.
03042+10

10 comments:

  1. This might not sound scary to you but when you realise that DIY stands for die if you do (have the operation) die if you (don't) then that's scary... to me anyway!

    Just for the record, I love Doctors really!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DIY trepanning?

    What a fun poem :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Andy. I look forward to following your blog during April. And I invite you to discover my work on the NaPoWriMo 2010 page at www.gregoconnell.com. - Greg =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary thoughts but I love the way you control them with this style of poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do - good luck with the op.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh, I like the notion of Black and Decker doctors... I admit to this being something that makes me uncomfortable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a legit fear. the rest of us are such wimps
    I love that first line, and "through my head...remove..." That is a wonderful bit.

    good luck

    ReplyDelete
  8. nice one Andy...thanks for sharing your words again

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the opening of the poem! Scary!
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.