I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Tuesday 11 December 2007

RWP#4 Confession

Picture:
The Sacred Heart Catholic Church at St Aubins Village in Jersey.
CONFESSION
The last time I went to church was in my teens,
blue jeans, sweet dreams, cool themes.
Only, there was this one sin I needed to get off my chest, one thing!
I thought that God missed me all these years but he couldn’t see me for sin.
That’s what the priest at St Aubins told me anyhow, when I told him.
It was the summer of seventy-four, we spent it on the beach there.
And another five round the corner at St Brelades, The Golden Sands.
Is there anything else you can tell me, have you touched your naughty thing?
Maybe you’ve touched a girl, got her into trouble, you will burn in hell!
I said no, there’s nothing else, just give me my penance and let me go.
Very well, say three Our Fathers, two Hail Mary’s and a Glory be…

I thanked the Irish Priest and prayed that he and his god could not see me.
RWP#4-091207

7 comments:

  1. oh,, this was most insightful and wonderful.. i know the feeling only too well.. the last time i confessed,, and i told the father how long it had been since my last confession,, i think he originally thought he would have to set up house keeping to accommodate my list of sins!!!!! this was such a nice read..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that last line :) Very nice. You know I have never ever confessed in my life! So it always makes me wonder how people do it ;) Thank you.

    UL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you turn the poem in the end. THat seems perfect to me!

    scientifically insane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. I love the fact that it is in long lines, I love the theme and language. You do quite well stepping out of your element!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy did this have a familiar ring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Everybody for leaving a comment here...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to this experience so well. The names of the churches, the priests inappropriate questions,the shame.... Great poem.

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.