I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Friday 18 July 2008

Rockin' Chair Writers. Prompt #3.

Partly because of last weeks
Rockin' Chair Writers Prompt
the following little verse has been
on my mind this week.


THESE STREETS
(ARE PAVED WITH GOLD!)

The church bells are ringing
the choristers are singing
London is calling you
I know 'cos London's
calling out to me too!

'And, I've been told
that these streets
are paved with gold!
A gleaming stream
of much told unseen gold!

Red, yellow, green or blue
it dosen't matter who
your vote goes to.

'Cos, I've been told
that these streets
are paved with gold!
A gleaming stream
of much told unseen gold!

Since Richard Whittington
told the world about
the London scene
people plot + people scheme
to replicate his dream.

And, I've been told
that these streets
are paved with gold!
A gleaming stream
of much told unseen gold!

The church bells are ringing
the choristers are singing
London is calling you
I know 'cos London's
calling out to me too!
3107

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment for Rockin' Chair Writers #3.

    I love this poem here, to me it drips with political cynicism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian, there's not much to choose between the political parties over here, they all end up letting you down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed that! Mainly because I did it. When I was 18, off I went - lad from Up North going down there. Stayed a few months - didn't find the gold, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anthony, Same here and who was it that said: "Where there's muck there's money?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read like a song but after last week I get what Brian meant. ;) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tammy, I've just been over at your blog, I think you're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was growing up in the States it was NYC that called out to people like that.

    Nice piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Robin, different peoples worlds have different centres (centers). Which of course gives us all something different to say.
    And that's good, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, this was a delight... i have a wandering feeling right now myself... i doubt very seriously i will ever make it to london,, but i feel a need to have an adventure just the same.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jody, It's probably the weather!

    Just Jen, You must have heard of Dick Whittington and his cat! Dick aka Richard Whittington became the Lord Mayor of London in 1397..

    ReplyDelete
  11. An entire country was founded on this call. But unfortunately, all that's calling to me right now is The Clash.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Susan, thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have enjoyed browsing through your blogs, and i love what you have written here,

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rita and thanks for visiting, I'm glad you found something you liked on STG. Andy

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.