I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Wednesday 21 April 2010

NaPoWriMo 2010 Day 21

NAPOWRIMO 2010 DAY 21
PERFECTLY FLAWED

Today’s prompt is from Read Write Poem member Kristen McHenry:

“In ancient times, Persian rug makers were deeply religious and believed that only God could make something perfect. They would deliberately drop in a small faulty stitch, a flaw, into each Persian rug. In doing so, a ‘Persian Flaw’ revealed the rug maker’s devotion to God.” — Karel Weijand

Like many of us, I often struggle with the gremlin of perfectionism. The above quote reminds me that achieving perfection is not my prime directive in life, and that in fact, striving for perfection can be a form of hubris.

Write a poem about flaws and perfection in yourself or in nature or write about how you feel about being imperfect or perfect.

Here are some things you may want to reflect on as you write: Do flaws add beauty to the world? What does it feel like to experience perfection? What is it like to encounter flaws — in our selves, in others, in systems or in objects? As imperfect beings, are we able to adequately judge perfection?

If you’d like, you can try contrasting these both concepts in one poem or just choose the one that you feel most drawn to. There is potential for both perfection and flaws in everything on earth, so there’s no limit to to subject you use to frame your poems.

HERE'S MINE:

BEAUTY SPOT

She is my immortal eternal self,

without her I am nothing.

Back home in Tiny Tree she waits

so patiently for me to return.


How I want to be there with her

every waking hour of every day.

However, I chose to come to time

to be with you in these last days.


Although I am here and she is there,

she is with me, and I with her.

Time and or eternity cannot

separate me from my true love.


She is perfection, in a perfected

realm, I am imperfect still.

She is my goddess of love, she holds

me up and carries me through time.


In eternity she’s my queen, I am her

King, we reign together.

Now, I am here with you, doing the

things that we have chosen to do.


Every spare moment, I choose to spend

time with her in eternity.

Worldly riches can’t buy this kind of

peace, and you too have time to spend.


As we mix faith with imagination,

our imperfection simply melts.

My goddess has a beauty spot

to remind her of her time on earth.
21042+10


3 comments:

  1. Time v Eternity - I think it's right to separate them as two individual 'places'. And a good comparison of Perfect v Flawed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh Andy I love the last stanza.
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.