I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Wednesday 29 April 2009

NaPoWriMo (29) Three Word Wednesday

Written for NaPoWriMo day twenty-nine
and inspired by and posted to 3WW
CXXXV the words this week are:
Opportunity, Quarrel, and Service.

Firstly, a 'Found' American Sentence.
I use the word 'Found' in the sense that it was written before Allen Ginsberg's proclamation of the seventeen syllable sentence.

EPITAPH
Against you I will fling myself, unvanquished and unyielding, O death!
Virginia Woolf 1882-1941

The American Sandwich game... Flash Fiction in 51 syllables, with a poetic filling.

Write a piece of flash fiction in just three American Sentences.
Allen Ginsberg's American Sentence has seventeen syllables.
Your task is to use as few words as possible to fill the sandwich.

Here's mine:

THE WAR HERO

Despite his upbringing, he graduated with a first class degree.
This was his opportunity to be of service to the nation.
On the battlefield, he was a hero, I have no quarrel with that.
290409
People who play this, also play this!

23 comments:

  1. Nicely done. I suppose I'll have to have a go at the Sandwich sometime, too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony, with your wordpower it'd be a doddle, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff - they really get you thinking, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah enjoyed it so! And i am addicted too :D

    Wrote my second one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Winnie the Poohi, glad you enjoyed it, and I'm on my way over to your blog right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm interesting.
    The American sandwich sure seems delicious;)

    ~Harsha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting the 'found' sentence. I had forgotten all about it!

    I too am lovin' The American Sandwich..

    raise the bar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Harsha, you should make one, maybe.

    Hi Gautami, so glad you love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Virginia Woolf, ahead of her time in so many ways. I wonder what she would have made of the American Sentence connection.

    Great shot on the American Sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am learning. Folks like you provide me direction.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to explore the American Sandwich thing! It looks like a lot of fun! Great job! -Meg

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Amy, your guess is as good as mine!

    Hi, Life without Clots, I think we're all still learning, hopefully from each other. I enjoyed reading your poetry today, and was really impressed with the way you got the three words into half a sentence.
    -Andy

    Hi Sue @ tumblewords, Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Sweet Talking Guy - this is great. Again, I think the ability to be concise is under rated. I'm going to check out the links you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you really are a sweet talking guy!
    thanks for your nice comment!
    Love what you've done with this weeks words! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Meg, I'm sure you can do it!

    Hi Lisa, thanks, and thanks for the follow!

    Hi Lucy, never trust a sweet talker!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Can someone please explain what the 'american sandwich' is please? Whatever it is I liked this tidy use of the words.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like this one. I actually started to write something along these lines but then changed my mind. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good use of the words. We don't have to agree with life choices to respect them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice. I saw a war/service theme in this week's prompts too, but already had something in progress and couldn't go that route.

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.