I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Tuesday 12 April 2011

NaPoWriMo 2011 Day Twelve

NAPOWRIMO.NET
The Day Eight prompt at NaPoWroMo.net was to write a nursery rhyme. 4 to 6 lines, 3-5 accented syllables per line (don’t worry about making them iambs or dactyls or what…as long as your lines are short), and of course, a rhyme or two.

Here's my attempt:

COLONEL GADAFFI
Colonel Gadaffi had the will
to slaughter his own people
he drove a tank to knock them down
and tied them to a steeple
12042011

And here's one that I wrote for my son Jack about seventeen years ago:

LITTLE JACK BATTY.

Little Jack Batty
Sat on a tatty
Eating his Ploughman's Lunch
His breakfast all done,
And his dinner to come
And said, 'What a nice bit of brunch!'
Previously published in Proper Trog and other Nursery Nonsense...

Posted to Writer's Island
Read my Sewina Sestina
JOIN ME ON FACEBOOK
I Hate Poets Proper Joe's
Secret Code
Day Twelve 2010
Scary Poem
Day Twelve 2009

11 comments:

  1. You probably could have written the first 17 years ago too... what goes round...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love modern nursery rhymes: intellible to us but in 100 years people will be puzzling over them just like we puzzle over Jack Sprat etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right in the spirit of traditional nursery rhymes, shocking now but in a hundred years?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that both pieces are timeless. Both are well written, too! The things we do in the name of one god or another...sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like both of these, the first for its in your face honesty, the second for the warmth and care that shines through it,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy, the first is a hard smack of reality and the second is a sweet poem. Well done.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. certainly had that nursery rhyme feel to it and the one for your son has a good rhythm to it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're good with nursery rhymes. Lucky son to have you write for him. Every dad should do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Andy, the first is for all the leaders of the world when they decide to read history and stop repeating it. The second, a sweet one. Wish my 22-yr-old was here and 6 so I could read it to her! Nice takes, both; loved the diversity.
    Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/maybe-now-pa-npwm-11/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun! One of these days I'll have to attempt some nursery rhymes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no idea where these prompts are coming from... but your nursery rhymes both political and personal have given me a smile that I'm now taking out to dinner :)

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.