I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Wednesday 28 January 2009

TOP prompt "Intersections" & RWP prompt "Sestina"

Written for the 'Sestina' prompt at ReadWritePoem and inspired by
TotallyOptionalPrompts 'Intersections' (banana/pyjama)
prompt.

ANDY SEWINA
They said I’ve got to write a sestina
I said my name is Andy Sewina
Would you like a bite of my banana
How long till you get some new pyjama
Is that a felt hat or a fedora
Did you sail into the new marina

I once met a mermaid called Marina
I thought I’d tell you in this sestina
That I always wear an old fedora
She said is your name Andy Sewina
Lemontina do you wear pyjama
Oh but please please don’t drive me banana

Joey likes to eat yellow banana
When he pedalo to the marina
Everybody loves his blue pyjama
When he goes siesta with sestina
He dreams that he is Andy Sewina
Wearing a big coat and a fedora

You really can’t ignore a fedora
Even a squishy squashy banana
Won’t make you into Andy Sewina
So don’t go try to swim the marina
Who said it’s complicated sestina
It’s so easy peasey in pyjama

Do the drama school supply pyjama
I’ll bring a pair under my fedora
It’s time for us to sing my sestina
Ba ba ba bana bana banana
Ma ma ma mamma ma ma marina
Yeah lemontina Andy Sewina

Dance like fiesta Andy Sewina
Do Sucu sucu Cuba pyjama
Discotina down to the marina
Don’t forget to don your old fedora
Ba ba ba bana bana banana
Singer ringer dinger my sestina

Dreamer dreamer sestina pyjama
Andy Sewina with his fedora
Slip don’t trip banana skin marina
280109

29 comments:

  1. Terrific internal rhyme use and associations
    It's exactly the light type of reading I craved today. Thanks, A!
    ("A top banana" poem)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (oops, I just noticed there are two contributors to this blog. I'll correct my blogroll. Sorry about that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok- me thinks you're one and the same? (I do need sleep so...maybe I'm seeing double? ) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andy; This really sounds like you when reading it - not just someone who dreams to be you - perhaps he's the second one Gel spotted?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gel, thanks and thanks from me and thanks from him too...

    I confuse myself sometimes but Andy Sewina is the same person as Danny Wise and both of them are Sweet Talking Guy. Just to confuse you further, I have another blog called Straight Talking Street Talking Sweet Talking Guy, phew!

    Hi Stan, I think it's the first time I ever mentioned Andy Sewina in a poem, perhaps people think he's just me and not the famous one. Google who?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was great fun. And so difficult to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tony, I just read your 'Lost - Civilizations' post and I'm hooked...

    ReplyDelete
  8. "You really can’t ignore a fedora
    Even a squishy squashy banana"

    That got me laughing!
    The whole poem tickles the tongue XD

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your sestina
    Andy Sewina
    and I just adore-a
    fedora.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Una fina sestina! A giggle and a rhyme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This made me laugh really hard at work and elicit suspicious stares from my co-workers.Thank you! It was a lot a fun to read--very free-spirited and musical. I wanted to dance to it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Aki Nominal, it tickled my tongue writing it!

    Thanks Watermaid! I'm glad I didn't bore yer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Sue@Tumblewords, don't you just love a giggle?

    Hi TGT, If you dance to my sestina, it will make you leaner, if you know what I mean? Er!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Danny, what a great sestina. I read it with a song in my head. I heard a steel band, a Reggae beat and the smell of ganja. Yo, mahn you be gud. Play on de white Marley. I enjoy this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that was terrific!

    I wonder--have you ever rapped a sestina?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Donald, thanks for the upbeat comment! If you can smell ganja, try closing the window!

    Thanks Angie, No! But I had a Cuban sound in my head 'aye aye aye, the beat is crazy, Sucu-sucu is everywhere, now I'm beginning to feel it, la da da, da da dada....'

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is that
    a banana inside your pyjama
    or ... ?

    Terrific trochaic pentameter sestina, Sewina.

    (and thanks for spotting my "lone" syllable!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Clever and funny and creative! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hilarious... sestinas can be so, so..so..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Phil, thanks, I'll take your word for that!

    Thanks Linda, Love the 'cholesteral nuggetts'.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks OMB, glad you saw the funny side!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I found myself reading this aloud to myself in a caribbean accent, with the distinct impression that there was a steel band congaing around somewhere nearby....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lirone, hope the accent's worn off by now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great work Andy. You clearly had a lot of fun with this, as did I. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Brad, and cheers to you too! I'll be over to your blog as soon as I've cleared the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ty, SWG-
    Before I saw this comment, I googled you and "wised up" :).
    I used to use two names in blogland, plus some others dubbed me two different nicknames of their own. So, I've been Green-Eyed Lady (which is what GEL) is a lazy typing form of,
    SilvermOOn, and Silvy and Moonlady from two people who like my poetry.) There are some other nicknames I won't own up to, though!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Gel, did you know that Wendy Naisia is an anagram of...?

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.