I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Wednesday 20 April 2011

NaPoWriMo 2011 Day Twenty

I got the idea for this one from the NaPoWriMo site:
Today's challenge is to write a poem about something you've overheard.

So, I've cobbled together a few phrases that my Grandmother frequently used:

DO THE CHARLESTON
Such a pity Kitty
Nutty as a fruitcake
Sitting there like Piffy
Now't to do for gods sake

Lolling on about Harry
It's as clear as a pikestye
He's happy as Larry
If he could see me cry

There's nothing I can do
As sure as eggs are eggs
As soon as look at you
Rattling on about pegs

When Harry's back at sea
Do the Charleston with me
20042011
Posted to Writer's Island

Day Twenty 2010
Day Twenty 2009

13 comments:

  1. I'll have to admit, I don't know what a pikestye is, but I sure as hell like "as sure as eggs are eggs" and the fantastically short last stanza. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your grandchildren will be writing about things you say now, in years to come...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was fun. I should try that with my mother-in-law's lingo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was fun indeed! I'm ready to do the Charleston whenever Harry's at sea...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful poem. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such fun in the memories. You made me think of some of the things my Mom used to say like, "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride!" Enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun conversation to over hear. I hear some great ones when I go home to Tennessee. I'll keep my ears open now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was great Andy, the last 2 lines put a smile on my face...

    rob kistner
    Image & Verse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this Andy, some of the saying are similar to what Yanks say:)

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only knew a couple of these sayings...but enjoyed them nonetheless! Reminded me, though, of when I first moved to Texas. There were LOTS of conversations I overheard that this Northern girl had no idea about!! LOL

    Fun piece, Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't k now some of the sayings—but it didn't seem tio matter.

    ReplyDelete

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.