I know you love me but if you follow me I'll love you too!

Monday 11 April 2016

Day Eleven

NaPoWriMo 2016

Day Eleven

WATCHING
WASHING
Watching it intrudes into my
Life it takes up a huge amount
Of room in my living space
I watch it sometimes
But sometimes not
It talks to me informs me
Sometimes it tries to sell
Things to me products and
Ideas that I don’t need  
Sitting on a table by my sofa
It is wider than it is high and
These days it has a flat screen
It has preset channels to receive  
Television and radio broadcasts
And a wireless remote control
I drape the washing over it to dry

110416 

I didn't really stick to the prompt today, but I tried to give it a surprise ending.

Today's challenge at NaPoWriMo was to write a poem in which you closely describe an object or place, and then end with a much more abstract line that doesn’t seemingly have anything to do with that object or place, but which, of course, really does. I think of the “surprise” ending to this James Wright Poem as a model for the effect I’m hoping you’ll achieve. An abstract, philosophical kind of statement closing out a poem that is otherwise intensely focused on physical, sensory details. Happy writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

.Posts over eight days old will go to comment moderation - all genuine comments good bad or indifferent will eventually be published. Spam will be deleted. Many thanks for visiting today.